Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Because I Like Them

Does anyone else remember the advice that women should steer clear of horizontal stripes? I guess the thinking goes that horizontal stripes draw the eyes from side-to-side, making a woman look wider than she is, and since being wide is horrifying and awful, women should never wear these kinds of stripes and look for vertical ones instead. Where in the world did I hear this as a little girl? Who was feeding me such garbage?

Anyway, it seems like this advice was pretty widespread, and one day, I was watching TV when a commercial for Crystal Lite iced tea came on. As is common with advertising, this particular commercial appealed to the idea that we all want to be beautiful and happy. It showed all these women in various situations, having tons of fun, and at one point, the voice-over person said the line, "Wear horizontal stripes, just because you like them."

Such a strange little moment for me to remember, but I totally think of this line whenever I wear horizontal stripes. I'm not worried about looking wider or slimmer than I am, so whatever; I wear horizontal stripes, just because I like them.

And because, at least for today, I got to be part of the Everybody, Everywear: Breton Stripes club.

Pocketwatch necklace: pocketwatch from eBay ($10), necklace from yard sale ($2)
Striped scarf: free from yard sale
Vest: Express brand, $4 (thrifted)
Striped shirt: Old Navy, $4 (sale)
Jeans: American Eagle Outfitters, $19 (2008)
Boots: Rocketdog brand from Macy's, $35 (2009)

This pink-striped shirt was a close contender for my 30x30 list, so I'm glad I got a chance to use it before that whole thing gets underway. It's a comfortable, versatile little shirt. All hail the Old Navy clearance section.

Also, these pictures were taken behind a Super Wal-Mart. The dude driving a forklift was so confused at what I was doing there. Is the universe trying to teach me something, with all these funny looks I get while taking pictures? If so, the lesson is either to rise above caring about other's opinions OR to take all my pictures in the isolation of the nearby Wasatch Mountains. One of the two, for sure.




Bonus picture, because my hair looks like a mustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment