Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Tunes

When I was cleaning my room today, I unearthed hundreds of Music CD's from my closet. I thought, what am I going to do with these? I have iTunes and no longer own a stereo system. These are all going to fall to bits.... like my own small collection of those music cassette tapes long time ago.

I didnt see how the future of technology will change so drastically. I used to think that my CD collection is a treasure to uphold. A lifetime of music. The soundtrack of my Life. That is no longer the case. With everything in my iTunes... they are now abandoned stuff waiting to rot.

I lost my CD virginity to The Church. Their Starfish is the oldest in my collection. It was given to me as a gift. Now, it reminds me of my New Wave days.


Though, I havent touched the CD for a very long time, I still listen to "Hotel Womb" and "Under The Milky Way" once in awhile when I hit that iTunes shuffle button. They still rock, I thought! And yes, you will never forget your first time.

But Starfish was not the first CD I purchased for myself. It was this:


I owned a cassette tape of this Enya's Watermark, purchasing it after hearing "Orinoco Flow" in Ford's Supermodel of the World - Philippines contest. But I purchased the CD version in Dubai with my first ever paycheck along with a Sony Discman. (Wow! The word 'Discman', no longer in our young ones' vocabulary). I'm so proud owning one long time ago, listening to Tita Enya while waiting for the bus. Sooo baduy nowadays!

Owning a CD collection was a bad investment. The culprit, this one:


Chill Out Music was sooo cool back then. The Cafe Del Mar compilation was a hit. I first came across with this from a chat friend in MIRC (remember this, guys? #gaymanila, #discreetguys?) . We were talking about Music. I told him I soo fancy Kinobe's Slip Into Something More Comfortable which i heard at Beachcomber Bar in Boracay back then. He said, i should try the Cafe del Mar series. So I did.... piloting Cafe Del Mar 6 and fell in love with it immediately.

At that time, volume "Seis" was the most recent one.... I bought the earlier versions from "Uno" to "Cinco" from paycheck to paycheck. And every year on, "Siete" "Ocho" "Nueve" as they were released. My Cafe del Mar love has died on "Diez" for my music genre has evolved from Chill out to Buddha Bar series and eventually to World Music.

My Cafe Del Mar's, Buddha Bar's, Man Ray's and Putumayo's started my CD collection. From then on, I became a CD addict. Buying a couple if I have the chance. Virgin was my favorite store. But when iTunes and MP3's came, it all slipped away.

My last CD purchased:


Sigur Ros' "Takk". It means, Thanks! ......Good Night! I'll stack you all up in one corner and think what to do with you next. My iPod smiles humming.... Pls lang!

No comments:

Post a Comment