Friday, September 21, 2007

A Talk With Ekra

Finally, after more than a month of silence and estrangement from sister Ekra, nag-usap na rin kami muli. This was two days ago, over the phone. Here is the full conversation:



Lyka:
Hello?
Ekra: Lyka! (of course, using my real name here).
Lyka: Uhuh?
Ekra: I am sending you an 104-year-old African-American female with lower GI Bleed. Chief Complaint of Bloody Stool, since this morning. This is new to her. No other GI history but Diverticulitis. No other medical problems except for patient is demented and requires a sitter.
Lyka: Hold On....., Kim! (talking to our Charge Nurse now), Do we have a sitter available for this patient from ER?
Kim: It's Chad and he is already here.
Lyka: (Back to Ekra) How bad is the patient?
Ekra: She's trying to get out of bed to pee even though we have a Foley on here already.
Lyka: Is the bleeding active?
Ekra: Very much. She's having Dark Red. I put her on a diaper. H and H is not that low though. No blood given. You have to check for another one at 8. Other Lab works within normal.
Lyka: Any special orders?
Ekra: Hmmm... you'll start fluids @ 100cc/hr x1 liter. I think that's it. Any more questions?
Lyka: None at all. Thank you.
Ekra: OK, then.... Bye!
Lyka: Bye!

(end of conversation)

-----O-----

Opo! Sa work po lahat ito ganap. At yun lang talaga. Ang taray ng sisters ninyo ano? Tatanungin ko pa sana kung kamusta na sya. Choz!

Seriously now, when all this started (no, not the bleeding lady but the Ekra-Lyka Alienation), I felt really sad and dispirited because of the rift. I had difficulty sleeping at gigising ako na mabigat ang dibdib. Habang tumagal, I learned to forget it. I thought I was OK na until this phone conversation with her. I am having problems sleeping again and for the past two mornings, I woke up with this sisterhood's disaffection in my mind. Dyahe!

No comments:

Post a Comment