Saturday, June 20, 2009

Solito's Boy

The film started with a lousy drag queen, with an ugly set of teeth, lip-synching to Leah Navarro's "Isang Mundo, Isang Awit". The subtitles translate the song into a beautiful prose. Wiz ko realize how powerful the message of this metro-pop song was. Now lang talaga. 

Ngayon mundo'y gulung-gulo 
At lahat tayo'y litung-lito 
Pag-ibig sa kapwa... (tao) 
Sa daigdig dapat ituro 

With that lady-DRAGon singing, I thought that was a good start.



Aureus Solito's Boy is not about a male house-help. (Akala ko kasi ganon eh. Chos!). It is about a boy (Hello?) who spend one evening in a Gay Bar and is bowled over by one of the young Macho Dancers there named Aries. (Type ko ang Aries, in fernalou. May Datetch! Sexu!) Without enough money to rent Aries, nag ala Douglas Mcarthur ang batang bakla: "I Shall Return!" ang moda! 

Returning with enough cash from trading his comic book collection, Boy gets the boy, bringing him home to Mama in New Year's eve! Without Mama knowing about the putukan that is going to happen, the boys spend the night upstairs teaching us of how different kinds of isda survive, and then, yun na: Big Bang sa Alabang na. Did Mama eventually find out about the Payanig sa Pasig? ... Watch the movie na lang!

Yesaaah! that sounds like another coming of age gay movie but it's pretty much different from the others. The film doesnt shout: "Hey I'm a gay teenager! I'm scared of homophobia. I'm depressed. Ill kill myself. You need to accept me. Thanks Mama, now I can have this happy cry because you accepted me for who I am. It's OK to be gay pala! I need to fight for my rights. Asan ang slogan?". It is not that at all kaya sya iba. 

I would say, I dont love it but I like it. There were three or four scenes that left me hung heavy and bored a bit including that lengthy sex scene. (Namulat na lang ako ulit ng pinakita na ni Aries yung kanya. Chos! but true!). 

The conversations between the characters saved the movie. I thought they were witty and cute. (Or maybe the English Subtitles make it different, I dunno. Di ko kasi mapigilang magbasa ng subtitles kahit Tagalog na ang pinapanood ko).

Basta.... 

Ang ending, pinalakpakan naman talaga ng mga kano ang Boy, in fernalou ferrigno. The actor who played the mother of the boy, Madeliene Nicolas and the producer (kalimutan ko ang pangalan, sorry) were there to answer questions from the viewers. (Sayang wala ang Aries. Charooot!). There i found out na Aries pala is playing himself. Totoots na Macho Dancer pala sya sa tunay na buhay. Same with the Macho-Dancers extras at ang mga DRAGons! 

My question was: "If your name is Luka, will you live on the second-floor?" (Chos!)

Aureus Solito's Boy is part of the San Francisco LGBT Film Festival which is going on now. It will be shown again today at 4:30 PM sa Victoria Theatre (16th St. and Mission) Vavoooo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment