Monday, October 6, 2008

Dear Jericho

Dear Jericho,

I wish you were there to experience the awesomeness of it. The open arena of UC-Berkeley's Greek Theatre was full. People like you and me were just so excited to see and feel them, Live! This was my second time, but i was much excited like my first. 

It started with Parachutes from nowhere. The group of 9's opening act initiated the hallucinating mood machine. They sound absolutely like them. Gibberish too with the Jonsi vocals but less empyrean. Ekra thought it was the quartet playing already. It was a nice and appropriate kick off. But it was less piercing compared to my experience with Amiina opening for them in Cleveland years ago. (Listen to Parachutes here). 

Then, there was them. Svefn-G-Englar, the song that made them who they are now.  Marie smoke started to float everywhere like gossamer veils expelled from the lungs. I dont understand why people have to submit to drugs to enjoy the already-trippy sound of Sigur Ros. I dont buy it!  It's an insult to my favorite band ever. Chos!

Glosoli followed next. Then Hoppipolla, Ny Batteri to Saeglopur. I was glad they incorporated old tracks in this concert for I thought their recent album is not at par with their previous ones These were old tracks which my concert cronies (Mama O and Ekra, and maybe Jake) were much familiar with. 

But it was the last four of the setlist that made Zeus a bit emotional. In the middle of Inni Mer Syngur Vitleysyngur, the clouds were getting heavy.  That is how heartwarming it was. Then  Hafsol stirred the demi-gods a little bit more with Jonsi's emotional instrumetation. Then it started to rain during Gobbledigook, not from the Gods yet. It rained confetti all over. Amazing! It was a celebration of bliss. I thought I was somewhere nice. I thought I was back in my Mama's womb. Worries gone. For a moment. Regression. Amazing!

Then the Encore. Sigur Ros said, let there be rain, and there was rain. And we saw it, and it was good. Popplagio (The Pop Song) made Zeus cried happy tears. The rain couldn't have come at a better time. It added drama to the whole euphoria. Everybody went home wet with an awesome experience. Amazing!

You should watch them live, my beautiful Jericho! But am so sorry to let you know they're not scheduled to visit Hong Kong this year. The nearest you can get is Japan at the end of October. I really want you to see them live. Absolutely magical!

Your cute buddy,
Lyka B.

PS. Ini-inggit lang kita! Tse!

No comments:

Post a Comment